• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Mom signed on with modeling agency w/out my permission

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
There is no comparison between soccer and modeling. I feel in a sense with modeling that my child is being exploited, where who knows what is looking at her photos. In soccer she is simply running across a field kicking a ball. big difference.
And in soccer, who knows who's watching the game, taking photos, and then looking at them? Seriously - unless you keep the child in an opaque bubble, there is a possibility of strangers looking at her/her photo.

mistoffolees

This is a contract we are talking about. A change in lifestyle. I dont need my daughter flying off to here or there to do shoots, etc if she so happens to hit it big. This is a big deal in my book. And I am upset that I was not consulted with prior to.
First, you can stop worrying. The chances of it turning into anything are comparable to the chances of my winning the lottery.

And even if it DOES turn into something big, you still have control of what you do with the child on your time.

I have family members in the apparel business, and they worked with models, set up runway shows, used fit models for sizing etc. No way, no how, under no circumstances would I ever consider allowing my child to have anything whatsoever with that end of the industry. Horribly unreasonable body image is encouraged, anorexia rampant, terrible schedules and a disqusting over emphasis on appearance, rather than substance and intellect.

Personally, I would be livid if anyone tried to introduce my child into that lifestyle.
Except that there's no law that you can't do both.

Face it - the number of kids who do more than perhaps a photo shoot for the local Macy's department store twice a year is insignificantly small. There's nothing that precludes doing academic things, as well.

My daughter does both - and there's absolutely no conflict at all.

As for anorexia, bad self image, etc - OP has the ability to be a good influence on the child no matter what the child does when with the other parent. That's all he can really control.

For the record, I took my child to one of those open calls. We were called back by one of the agencies and advise to put together a portfolio and call them back. No pressure to "sell" representation or anything...
There are all types. The ones who advertise on the radio "your chance to be the next Disney star", etc are mostly scams. A lot of money up front and little to no chance of getting anywhere.

The local ones that you have to go out of your way to find are almost always far more honest.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
I have family members in the apparel business, and they worked with models, set up runway shows, used fit models for sizing etc. No way, no how, under no circumstances would I ever consider allowing my child to have anything whatsoever with that end of the industry. Horribly unreasonable body image is encouraged, anorexia rampant, terrible schedules and a disqusting over emphasis on appearance, rather than substance and intellect.

Personally, I would be livid if anyone tried to introduce my child into that lifestyle.

Far better to find intellectually enriching pursuits.

If a child's photo appears because they actually ACHEIVED something of note, that is different than their image appearing in an underwear or uniform ad. And, BTW, my child was offered that opportunity and we turned it down flat.
Actually, many (if not most) of the really big models are no slouches when it comes to intellect. Modeling is a lot of hard work, because it's NOT all about who's the most beautiful - much more goes into conveying the "story" that has been created to sell the product. If you listen to a Tyra Banks or Iman speak, it will be clear within moments that you are dealing with some pretty bright ladies.

Same with athletics. Doesn't require book smarts. Some positions within some sports don't require many smarts at all. But others? Require an innate understanding of strategy and ability to look at a field of players and know how to play it. Some people can do both, some can only do the one.

Additionally, there are smart people everywhere who are not book-smart, but very savvy when it comes to business. Or any other pursuit, really. We need people of all types in this world, not just those who are intellectually brilliant. Somehow, I doubt the Stephen Hawkings of this world know how to clear a clogged drain, or fix an engine that runs rough, or... pick a "manual labor" emergency of any sort.

All of the above... is an achievement. Honestly, nw? You are coming off as a snob. I am starting to feel quite a bit of empathy for your daughter - your ideals must be very difficult to live up to.

frylover

Actually, many (if not most) of the really big models are no slouches when it comes to intellect. Modeling is a lot of hard work, because it's NOT all about who's the most beautiful - much more goes into conveying the "story" that has been created to sell the product. If you listen to a Tyra Banks or Iman speak, it will be clear within moments that you are dealing with some pretty bright ladies.

Same with athletics. Doesn't require book smarts. Some positions within some sports don't require many smarts at all. But others? Require an innate understanding of strategy and ability to look at a field of players and know how to play it. Some people can do both, some can only do the one.

Additionally, there are smart people everywhere who are not book-smart, but very savvy when it comes to business. Or any other pursuit, really. We need people of all types in this world, not just those who are intellectually brilliant. Somehow, I doubt the Stephen Hawkings of this world know how to clear a clogged drain, or fix an engine that runs rough, or... pick a "manual labor" emergency of any sort.
All of the above... is an achievement. Honestly, nw? You are coming off as a snob. I am starting to feel quite a bit of empathy for your daughter - your ideals must be very difficult to live up to.
Ditto to this. I KNOW I am not even in OG's league intellectually. Couldn't have made it through law school if my life depended on it. BUT, law students start out as kindergarten students like everyone else. That's where I come in. My dad had only a high school diploma but could build anything you wanted out of wood and fix anything that broke in our house. My mom quit working after I was born due to some issues they learned I had (and would likely be ridiculed here for her reasons) Stay at home mom who kept a lovely home and was a good wife and mother. It takes all kinds to make the world go round.

Isis1

Ditto to this. I KNOW I am not even in OG's league intellectually. Couldn't have made it through law school if my life depended on it. BUT, law students start out as kindergarten students like everyone else. That's where I come in. My dad had only a high school diploma but could build anything you wanted out of wood and fix anything that broke in our house. My mom quit working after I was born due to some issues they learned I had (and would likely be ridiculed here for her reasons) Stay at home mom who kept a lovely home and was a good wife and mother. It takes all kinds to make the world go round.
true, but in some people's worlds, that makes her an embarrassment to the whole female movement. she was dependant on someone to provide for her. if she's not making it on her own, she is not worth anything.

:rolleyes: (i say that dripping with sarcasm)

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
I agree, fry. It does.

My oldest has been described as "scary smart". And he is. I hold my own, intellectually, and few people intimidate me in that regard, but... I know he is way out of my league. There is not a subject that he doesn't excel in. He really could be the next Einstein if that's where he wanted to focus his abilities. But it isn't. His passion is music. And so... that's what he's pursuing. Expect, someday, to know his name.

My youngest? Is extremely bright, but not in her brother's league intellectually. She has to work harder for it, and she does. But where she does excel? Is on the field. She steps on that FH pitch? And she knows exactly where to direct her girls. If there is one place that she's driven, it's FH. She plays injured more than she doesn't. And ya know what? Her achievements on the pitch *are* noteworthy.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
true, but in some people's worlds, that makes her an embarrassment to the whole female movement. she was dependant on someone to provide for her. if she's not making it on her own, she is not worth anything.

:rolleyes: (i say that dripping with sarcasm)
:mad::mad::mad:

While I do think it may be a foolish choice - especially TODAY - the choice to stay at home with a child (no matter which gender that parent is) should never be considered an embarrassment.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Yes it does. I am clueless when it comes to fixing my car, sink hot water heater or anything electrical. Those people who can do that? Dang I am jealous. And good teachers are aces!

frylover

Isis, I think some of the sarcasm got on me! ;)

Stealth, your kids are lucky to have a mom who allowed them to use the talents they have instead of trying to direct them to areas where they would not excel, just because those areas might be more "acceptable" to some people!

Thanks, OG! :)

(I should probably add that 45 years ago, a stay at home mom was more "accepted". And I can't believe I am 45 years old! :eek:)

Last edited:

LdiJ

Isis, I think some of the sarcasm got on me! ;)

Stealth, your kids are lucky to have a mom who allowed them to use the talents they have instead of trying to direct them to areas where they would not excel, just because those areas might be more "acceptable" to some people!

Thanks, OG! :)

(I should probably add that 45 years ago, a stay at home mom was more "accepted". And I can't believe I am 45 years old! :eek:)
I am 53. On the cul de sac I grew up on there were 13 houses. Only one of the mom's on that street had a job outside the home. All of the rest of them were sahms.

That started changing though when I was a teenager. Almost everybody's mom started going to work to help save money for college for their kids.

CJane

I am 53. On the cul de sac I grew up on there were 13 houses. Only one of the mom's on that street had a job outside the home. All of the rest of them were sahms.

That started changing though when I was a teenager. Almost everybody's mom started going to work to help save money for college for their kids.
I'm one of very few working moms in my area. The ones that DO work outside the home are mostly teachers so they can still spend tons of time with their kids.

I used to be a SAHM, and sometimes still wish I could be.

I sure don't sit around and think "Gawd, you lazy, stupid sow. Why aren't you out there earning your social security credits?"

strongbus

OP is forgetting one important thing. Mom can sign any contract she wants for the child to do the modeling, but without dads OK its not going work.

1st unless mom can get all the shooting times on her time all dads has to do is say no she can't go. whats mom going do tell dad sorry its your court order time but the child has an modeling shoot at this time so you can't have her? ya right there a contempt of court right there that a judge is not going like. Also whats mom going do ask the judge to redo visits around the modeling times. Maybe but it be a hard sell.

2nd. If the child doesn't have a passport and is ask to do a shoot outside of the US all dad has to do is not sign the passport papers. Whats mom going do take him to court? By that time she loss the shoot.

Enough of these and moms going lose the contract. and dad gets what he wants.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">