• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Question...please Help

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

seniorjudge

Close and LOCK your other thread. Then I will answer you. And most likely fry you but at least you will be deep fried like DONUTS! Cream filled. Custard filled. Cute snowmen donuts from krispy kreme. Okay?
The Canadians are way ahead of us.

You drink coffee and eat donuts at Tim Horton's and you will hate to come back to America!:D

JacobJoel

lock up

probably someone is going to have to tell her how to lock her thread.

i've only done it once.

EDITED TO ADD: she figured it out. and i call myself 'helping' out....hah!

Last edited:

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
The Canadians are way ahead of us.

You drink coffee and eat donuts at Tim Horton's and you will hate to come back to America!:D
We have Tim Horton's in Ohio that taste just like the Tim Horton's in Canada. Been there, ate there, great place! Love Tim Horton's! Also love Nova Scotia and New Brunswick. GORGEOUS!

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Okay real quick.

Well I'd earlier with a brief story of what I am going through, but I'll give you the short version :)
Short version is good.

I am 19, 5 months pregnant, and no longer with the father.
He is not daddy yet. Not daddy until he signs an AOP or is legally adjudicated as such.

We separated 2-3 months ago and have not spoken since.
OKay.

I moved back in w/ my family b/c he wouldn't get a job to support us (I was too sick & couldn't work),
He has no legal responsibility to support you. YOU have a legal responsibility to support you.

he had no car and no licenses so I couldn't get back & forth to drs. appointments, and no way to get to the hospital if an emergency occured.
Did you have a car or driver's license? What about a bus?

Now he's jobless,
As are you.

still car-less,
What about yoU?

and he parties, drinks a lot, sleeps around,
You are 19 and pregnant. That does not speak to your chastity.

and I suspect he could be doing drugs,
That matters not. You need to prove it.

and he has no steady place to live, he just drifts from friend-to-friend looking for a place to stay,
You have no steady place to live. YOU live with your family. You do not have your own home.

and I've recently found out he wants custody of our child.
He is entitled to custody just as you are.

My questions are this:
Can he get it?
Yes. Expect him to get joint custody -- at the very least joint legal.

What are his rights as a parent?
Once he establishes paternity -- the same as yours.

I am on GA Medicaid--Do I have to list him as the father?
(I've been told I did or they'd revoke my insurance)
You have your answer.

When baby's born do I HAVE to let him sign the birth certificate?
Actually no one signs the birth certificate.

I have tons more questions, but I don't want to hit you all at once!
YOu will get tons of answers. But realize -- you may whine I was harsh or mean. That is nothing. If you were the opposition in court I would be much more harsh. Your criticisms of him can easily be turned around on you.

Not Whining Or Complaining

Well at least I know what I can look forward to in court...

So my living with my folks, that's not considered a stable environment? Can I be proved unfit for that?

What should I be doing now, is there any information I need to be getting together or anything?

Zephyr

So my living with my folks, that's not considered a stable environment? Can I be proved unfit for that?

What should I be doing now, is there any information I need to be getting together or anything?
Living with your parents does not make you unfit, it does however take away your arguement that his inability to support himself and provide his own housing away

seniorjudge

I always thought this ploy was pretty clever (and a couple of lawyers have pulled it off in front of me):

The opposing party's family is called to testify for the person wanting custody.

In one example, a mother and father were fighting over custody. The father called the mother's family in as witnesses for the father.

Very effective (if possible).

If not possible, then you better show the most stable life you can.

Good job with steady work; giving the kid education; etc.

The more regularity you can show, the better off you are.

TinkerBelleLuvr

What OG was saying that you technically don't have a place of your own. It is no different than your X. She was showing you how your allegations of your X can be turned to you.

Yes, living with parents is 'stable'. Do you pay rent?

JacobJoel

Really now

do you really believe the dad is going to have the money OR the mental wherewithal to take you to court?

think about that.

baby's have an amazing way of pulling the best out of people sometimes. maybe he will get a grip between now and when the baby gets here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">